The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences today announced its newly elected 2021–2022 Board of Governors. The governors will take office at the first scheduled board meeting of the new term.
Elected to the Board for the first time:
- Rita Wilson, Actors Branch
- Kim Taylor-Coleman, Casting Directors Branch
- Paul Cameron, Cinematographers Branch
- Eduardo Castro, Costume Designers Branch
- Jean Tsien, Documentary Branch
- Pam Abdy, Executives Branch
- Terilyn A. Shropshire, Film Editors Branch
- Laura C. Kim, Marketing and Public Relations Branch
- Lesley Barber, Music Branch
- Gary C. Bourgeois, Sound Branch
- Brooke Breton, Visual Effects Branch
- Howard A. Rodman, Writers Branch
Incumbent governors reelected to the Board:
- Susanne Bier, Directors Branch
- Jennifer Todd, Producers Branch
- Tom Duffield, Production Design Branch
- Bonnie Arnold, Short Films and Feature Animation Branch
Returning to the Board after a hiatus:
- Bill Corso, Makeup Artists and Hairstylists Branch
They will join returning governors Kate Amend, Craig Barron, Howard Berger, Charles Bernstein, Jon Bloom, Rob Bredow, Ruth E. Carter, Kevin Collier, Laura Dern, Teri E. Dorman, Dody J. Dorn, Ava DuVernay, Linda Flowers, DeVon Franklin, Rodrigo García, Donna Gigliotti, Whoopi Goldberg, Lynette Howell Taylor, Mark Johnson, Larry Karaszewski, Laura Karpman, Christina Kounelias, Ellen Kuras, David Linde, Isis Mussenden, Jennifer Yuh Nelson, Jan Pascale, Stephen Rivkin, Eric Roth, David Rubin, Steven Spielberg, Wynn P. Thomas, Nancy Utley, Mandy Walker, Roger Ross Williams, Janet Yang and Debra Zane.
As a result of this election, the number of women Academy governors increases from 26 to 31 and the number of governors from underrepresented racial/ethnic communities increases from 12 to 15.
The Academy’s 17 branches are each represented by three governors, who may serve up to two three-year terms (consecutive or non-consecutive), followed by a two-year hiatus, after which eligibility renews for up to two additional three-year terms, for a lifetime maximum of 12 years. The Board of Governors sets the Academy’s strategic vision, preserves the organization’s financial health, and assures the fulfillment of its mission.
For a full list of the current 2020-2021 Academy governors, click here.
# # #