Terms and Conditions of Use
The web site (“Site”), including, without limitation, The Official Academy Awards® Database, Scientific and Technical Awards Database, and Motion Picture Credits Database, are Copyright ©2022 by Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. All rights reserved. Neither the Site nor any part thereof may be reproduced or copied in any form or by any means without the express written consent of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
Access to the Site is provided subject to the following Terms and Conditions.
YOUR USE OF THIS SITE CONSTITUTES YOUR AGREEMENT TO BE BOUND BY THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS.
- Limitations on Use. The content of this Site is for information and personal use only and not for commercial exploitation. You may not copy, modify, reproduce, republish, distribute, display, or transmit for commercial, non-profit or public purposes all or any portion of the Site, except to the extent permitted above. You may not decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble, rent, lease, loan, sell, sublicense, or create derivative works from the Site or its content. You may not use any network monitoring or discovery software to determine the site architecture, or extract information about usage or users. You may not use any robot, spider, other automatic device, or manual process to monitor or copy our Site or its content (except to the extent necessary for public search engines to create searchable indices). Users must be at least 18 years of age or have parental or guardian consent.
- Linking to the Site. You may provide hyper-text links, only to the homepage, provided: (a) you do not remove or obscure, by framing or otherwise, any portion of the homepage, (b) you give Academy notice of such link by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and (c) you discontinue providing links to this Site if requested by Academy.
- Disclaimer. The accuracy, completeness, adequacy, availability or currency of the Site or its content is not warranted or guaranteed. Your use of information on the Site is at your own risk. Academy does not represent or warrant that the Site will be error-free, free of viruses or free of other harmful components. The Site is provided on an “as is” basis. Academy expressly disclaims all warranties, including the warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement.
- Limitation on Liability. Academy shall not be liable for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage of any kind resulting from your use of the Site. Academy shall not be liable for any special, direct, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages of any kind whatsoever (including, without limitation, attorneys' fees) in any way due to, resulting from, or arising in connection with the use of or inability to use the Site or the content.
- Indemnity. You agree to indemnify and hold Academy, its officers, members, employees, and agents, harmless from any loss, liability, claim, or demand, including reasonable attorneys' fees, made by any third party due to or arising out of your use of the Site.
- User Generated Content. For purposes of this section (“User Generated Content”), “Site” shall also include Academy sponsored third party web sites and media, including but not limited to sites for Oscars® sweepstakes.
(B) You shall not submit any User Content protected by copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, moral right, or other intellectual property, personal, contractual, proprietary or other third party right without the express permission of the owner of the respective right. You are solely liable for any damage resulting from your failure to obtain such permission or from any other harm resulting from User Content that you submit.
(C) You represent, warrant, and covenant that you will not submit any User Content that:
(i) violates or infringes in any way upon the rights of others, including, but not limited to, any copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, moral right, or other intellectual property, personal, contractual, proprietary or other third party right of any person or entity;
(ii) impersonates another or is unlawful, threatening, abusive, libelous, defamatory, invasive of privacy or publicity rights, vulgar, obscene, profane, pornographic, lewd, lascivious, filthy, excessively violent, harassing or otherwise objectionable;
(iii) encourages conduct that would constitute a criminal offense, give rise to civil liability or otherwise violate any law;
(iv) is an advertisement for goods or services or a solicitation of funds;
(v) includes personal information such as messages which identify phone numbers, social security numbers, account numbers, addresses, or employer references;
(vi) contains a formula, instruction, or advice that could cause harm or injury;
(vii) is a chain letter of any kind;
(viii) the licensed use by Academy hereunder would result in Academy having any obligation or liability to any party;
(ix) depicts any third party trademarks or products or services in any manner that violates their rights or could otherwise create liability; or
Moreover, any conduct by a user that in Academy’s sole discretion restricts or inhibits any other user from using or enjoying the Site will not be permitted.
(E) By submitting User Content, you also grant Academy the sublicensable right, but not the obligation, to use your biographical information, including, without limitation, your name and geographical location in connection with broadcast, print, online, or other use or publication of your User Content. Notwithstanding the foregoing, you waive any and all claims you may now or later have in any jurisdiction to so-called "moral rights" or rights of "droit moral" with respect to the User Content.
(F) Academy reserves the right to display advertisements in connection with your User Content and to use, and license, permit and otherwise authorize others to use, your User Content for advertising and promotional purposes. You acknowledge and agree that your User Content may be included on the websites, advertising networks and any other media of Academy’s licensees, distribution partners and third-party service providers (including their downstream users).
(G) Academy has the right, but not the obligation, to monitor User Content. Please exercise caution and common sense when viewing User Content. Academy has no obligation to post, maintain, accept, display, exploit or otherwise make use of User Content, does not guarantee distribution of User Content and User Content will not be returned and you will not have the right, once posted, to access, archive, maintain or otherwise use such User Content on the Site. Academy may discontinue operation of the Site, or your use of the Site, in either case in whole or in part, in Academy’s sole discretion. You have no right to maintain or access your User Content on the Site and Academy has no obligation to return your User Content or otherwise make it available to you. Academy may, in its sole discretion, delete, move, re-format, edit, alter, distort, remove or refuse to exploit User Content without notice or liability; provided, however, that Academy reserves the right to treat User Content on the Site, or on certain portions of the Site, as content stored at the direction of users for which Academy will not exercise editorial control except to block or remove content that is obscene, lewd, lascivious, filthy, violent, harassing or otherwise objectionable or to enforce the rights of third parties.
(H) The rights granted by you hereunder may not be terminated, revoked or rescinded and are not subject to reversion; provided, however, the rights granted by Academy may be terminated, revoked or rescinded and are subject to reversion. If you become aware that User Content you have submitted includes any material for which you lack the unrestricted right to grant Academy the rights set forth above without obligations or liability to any party, you agree to promptly provide Academy with detailed written notice thereof to: email@example.com.